Where does my money go?
People often wonder where their money goes when they donate to or support a fundraising event. When you support Susan G. Komen for the Cure in Utah, up to 75% of the net funds stay here in Utah to fund screening, treatment and education programs in our communities. The remaining 25% goes directly to fund research programs coordinated through our national organization.
In 2011, the Utah Affiliate completed a community needs assessment that identified gaps in services specific to breast health. We found that Utah ranks near the bottom for screening mammography rates in the nation, and the number one reason for this is a lack of insurance and ability to pay for these services. That, along with an identified need for support programs for patients and their families, guided our funding priorities for this year.
We just announced our grantee organizations and programs for the year 2013-2014, and we are proud to share just a little bit about who they are, and what they do for individuals and families in Utah!
Active Re-Entry PERKIE Travels: provides daily transportation from Emery and Carbon counties for cancer patients, including those with breast cancer, to receive radiation treatments and medical services in Utah County.
Alliance Community Services: Runs two programs: A support group- Triunfadoras Spanish Language Breast Cancer Support Group for Hispanic Survivors and their Families, and a Breast Cancer Education program for Hispanic Women in Salt Lake, Davis and Utah Counties.
Comunidades Unidas: Runs two programs for immigrant and refugee women: support group and case management services, and breast health education with direct referrals to and assistance attending screening services and follow-up.
Image Reborn Foundation: Renewal Retreats for Breast Cancer Survivors: Young, Stage IV, Hispanic, and General. Assisting women at different stages of breast cancer reclaim their lives through free retreats designed to heal and renew.
Intermountain Healthcare: Intermountain Community Benefit department is partnering with community agencies, providers and municipalities to provide mammography screening and breast cancer diagnostic services to identified underserved women in the Salt Lake Valley.
Intermountain Healthcare South West Region: Provide support to continue and expand the Mammogram 500 program- mammogram payment for women 40-49 in need in south west Utah.
Logan Regional Hospital Foundation: Funding will be utilized to partial fund Logan Regional Hospital's cancer support group and 2013 National Cancer Survivor's Day (NCSD) event.
Maliheh Free Clinic: Decrease breast cancer mortality rates among uninsured and underserved women in the Greater Salt Lake area by providing breast health education, clinical breast exams and screening mammography to all age eligible Clinic patients.
McKay Dee Hospital Foundation: McKay-Dee Hospital partners with Midtown, Junior League of Ogden and Weber State University to hold an annual Women's Health Connection event.
People's Health Clinic, Inc.: Screening and mammography program to increase breast cancer awareness and access to screening within the community: targeting the uninsured, ethnically diverse, aged 40 and over women of Summit and Wasatch counties.
Utah Cancer Control Program: Provides breast and cervical cancer screening services to low income non-insured and underinsured women ages 40 to 64 throughout the state.
Utah Partners for Health: Provides access to comprehensive breast health screenings and education to women lacking access to healthcare in Salt Lake and Tooele Counties, and one clinic in Utah County.
4th Street Clinic: Fourth Street Clinic Women's Health Initiative will be expanded to include more targeted breast health activities (i.e. clinical breast exams) coordinated by their women's health specialist.